- 1 medium grapefruit
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oilgin
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 small serrano or jalapeno chile, minced (with seeds for maximum heat)
- 2 scallions (both white and green parts), minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound skinless, center-cut salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Wooden skewers, soaked
Strip the peel from the grapefruit with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to include the bitter white pith. Warm the grapefruit peel, ginger, and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as the oil starts to bubble, after about 2 minutes, remove from heat. Set the oil aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve the oil.
Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in a bowl and drain. Put the quinoa in a small saucepan with the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside off the heat, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
Segment the grapefruit over a bowl, reserving the segments and juice separately. Whisk 3 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice with the vinegar, honey, and salt to taste in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a stream to make a slightly thick dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
Preheat a stovetop or outdoor grill to high heat. Thread the salmon cubes onto the skewers. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon grapefruit oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill the skewers, turning as each side browns but the salmon is still moist, about 3 minutes.
Toss the grapefruit segment into the salad, divide among 4 plates, and top with the salmon kebobs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.